Sandro Chia, Italian (1946 - )
Born in Florence on 20th April 1946. Studies at the Istituto d’Arte and then at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Florence, gaining his diploma in 1969. After graduating, he travels extensively in India, Turkey and throughout Europe before settling in Rome in 1970.
During the 1970’s he exhibits many times in Rome and Europe, gradually transitioning away from the conceptual field of work toward a more figurative style of painting. Between September 1980 and August 1981 he obtains a scholarship from the city of Monchengladbach in Germany where he moves to work for a year. The following year he is in New York, where he will remain for over two decades, with frequent trips back to Ronciglione first and then Montalcino subsequently.
He has been part of the Italian “Transavanguardia” movement, exhibiting in many of the most important museums and galleries of the world. He has exhibited at the Biennale of Paris and San Paolo and numerous times at the Venice Biennale. His work has been part of various prestigious group shows in some of the most important museums of the world. Amongst his most important personal shows are exhibitions at the Stedelijk Museum of Amsterdam (1983), the Metropolitan Museum of New York (1984), the National Galerie of Berlin (1984, 1992), the Museum of Modern Art of Paris (1984); the museums of Dusseldorf (1984), Antwerp (1989), Mexico City (1989); Palazzo Medici Riccardi in Florence (1991); the museums of Karlsruhe (1992), Palm Springs (1993), Villa Medici in Rome (1995); Palazzo Reale in Milan (1997), the Boca Raton Museum of Art, Florida (1997), the Galleria Civica of Siena (1997), the Galleria Civica in Trento (2000), the Museo d’Arte of Ravenna (2000); Palazzo Pitti and the Museo Archeologico Nazionale of Florence (2002); and most recently the Duomo of St. Agostino in Pietrasanta (2005).
In 2003, the Italian State acquired three important works of his for the permanent collection of the Italian Senate at Palazzo Madama, and in 2005 two monumental sculptures were acquired by the Province of Rome and placed in front of its headquarters in Via IV Novembre, Rome.
Today he lives between Miami, Rome and his Castello Romitorio wine-making estate in Montalcino, where he also follows the production of prestigious wines, amongst which the world-famous Brunello wine.